The journey from Aquarium Station to Black Rock Station takes 12 minutes. The journey from either station to Halfway takes approximately 5 minutes.
The stations are accessible by wheelchair and pushchair. Wheelchairs and pushchairs must be folded to fit on the trains, or left on the platform at Aquarium Station (at owner’s risk).There is an accessible toilet in the Visitor Centre and accessible public toilets close to each station.
An induction loop is in operation at the Visitor Centre and at Black Rock Station.
Dogs are allowed on the trains, but need to be kept under control and away from the sides of the carriages for their own safety.
The Railway is owned and managed by Brighton & Hove City Council. The recent redevelopment and refurbishment work was funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, with some additional support from the Council and the Volk’s Electric Railway Association (VERA).
The trains are made up of different carriages, known as ‘cars’.
- Cars 3 & 4 were built in 1892. Car 3 was recently restored by the Volk’s Electric Railway team, and Car 4 has been restored by Alan Keef Ltd as part of the 2017 Heritage Lottery Fund project.
- Cars 6, 7 & 8 were built in 1901. Car 6 has been restored by Alan Keef Ltd as part of the 2017 Heritage Lottery Fund project.
- Car 9 was built in 1910.
- Car 10 was built in 1926 and has been restored by Alan Keef Ltd as part of the 2017 Heritage Lottery Fund project.